
This is a
NIELSON, F/O Elden Lloyd (J9647) - Distinguished Flying Cross - No.458 Squadron - Award effective 21 October 1943 as per London Gazette dated 29 October 1943 and AFRO 2457/43 dated 26 November 1943. Born in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan; home in Vancouver. Enlisted in Edmonton, 14 March 1941. Trained at No.2 ITS (graduated 14 August 1941), No.6 EFTS (graduated 4 October 1941) and No.4 SFTS (graduated 2 January 1943). Commissioned 1942. DHist card says that medal was forwarded, 7 June 1955 to Provincial Mental Hospital, Ponoka, Alberta, "for safekeeping"; appears he was a patient there.
I have always personally felt that if called by my country I would go to war. I reasoned that I had been given a great gift in being born into this great country and I would do my duty protect its sovereignty and pay it back for my good fortune. Now that I am older and wiser I see war more for what it is. Politics by other means. I have no great desire to lay down my life in order to satisfy somebodies need for expansion or imperialism. I question the need for putting Canadian boys in harms way in places like Afghanistan for goals that I am not quite clear on. Now that I am father to a son, I am loathe to think of sending him off to war to get shot at by someone who probably couldn't find Edmonton on a map much less threaten its security. As I get older I am more sceptical about motives for war but more sympathetic for the warriors.
That being said, you will find no greater admirer of our troops than myself. Remembrance Day always brings a tear to my eye. I am so humbled by the sacrifice that so many young men and women made for us, for me and for my family. I got lucky by being born in a time frame in which no one asked me as a 18 year old to go to war. I probably would have thought it pretty cool at the time and thrown myself into some kind of dumbass situation that may have caused me to lose my life or a body part or two. I feel a great sense of pride and gratitude towards our troops who are out there right now and have served in the past. So, Uncle Babe, Grandpa Nielsen, Slim Cunningham, Roland Burt, George Burt, Darren and Tina Burt and others who have served and fought for our country, I am remembering you today.
I thought your commentary was very good. I had a couple of other uncles who also served-one in the first world war and one in the second world war. Uncle Jim who served in the first war loved to tell war stories, but not so my dad,Roland Burt. He never spoke of it. His brother George never made it home and his name is on the monument at Vimy Ridge. I come from a long line of military people and I am very proud of every one of them. I attended the service at the Butter Dome on Remembrance Day which was very moving and the sight of all the young men and women in uniform brought tears to my eyes. I am so proud of our Canadian Military and I support them one hundred percent. As Darren prepares for his tour of duty in Afghanistan, he is definitely in my thoughts and prayers. Ruth
ReplyDelete